Thursday, June 2, 2011

Sowing the seeds of love. . . and salsa

Since I'm reasonably sure it won't snow for a few months, I've been in the process of planting my garden. Eager for any chance to play in the dirt, my boys have been helping me. After my husband did an awesome job tilling up the dirt (Thanks honey!), the munchkins and I bought some seedlings from our neighborhood nursery and got to work. They decided that the seedlings were babies that we needed to dig beds for and cover them with dirt "blankies". My 3 and 5 year olds really got into it, saying things like, "This one's cranky. He needs a nap." and "Let's cover him up all warm and cozy." My favorite parts were watching my three year old tickling the seedlings, saying "Cutchie cutchie coo!" and singing lullabies to the seedlings. I told the kids that the seedlings were going to grow into tomatoes, peppers, and onions, then I asked them what we would do with the veggies. Their response, "Let's make salsa!" I'm so glad my boys get excited about the creation of food, from the dirt to the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment